CONFERENCE OF AFRICA STUDENT LEADERS
ABUJA – NIGERIA
CASL SUMMIT 1.0
For Secondary School Students
APRIL 24-29, 2022 ( Held)
CASL Summit 2. 0
For Undergraduate Students
October 2- 6, 2022
Registrations have begun
About CASL Summit
It is common knowledge that students leaders exert enormous influence on the entire student body on Campus. It is equally true that students leaders including school Prefects often catalyze peace or chaos in school depending on how responsible or recalcitrant they are. Perhaps more important is the fact that most former students leaders emerge as public figures occupying varying leadership positions in the larger society, once out of school.
Although many African countries have emerged from dictatorial regimes into democratic society, many of their young generation have not yet imbibed democratic values. Students offer a pool of potential leader-resource that could be deliberately developed to take Africa’s democratic society into a sustainable level.
It is against this background that FLED International Leadership Institute initiated CONFERENCE OF AFRICA STUDENTS LEADERS – CASL. The primary aim is to provide regular and annual platform for students leaders in secondary & tertiary institutions in Africa to exchange ideas, share knowledge, sharpen leaderships skills and values and work together to set higher standards of democratic leadership practices in their schools and campuses.
To promote the principle of deliberative democracy and and empower student on how to handle conflicts, authority/power, decision-making and portfolio management;
To instill the values of Pan-Africanism and provide opportunity for cross-fertilization of ideas among African students;
To inspire students to become active citizens through engagement community service projects
To recognize, promote and reward good leadership styles among students, both individually and collectively.
Membership of CASL is only on institutional basis and not individual level. This means that individual students cannot apply to become a members of CASL. Only Institutions could apply to become a member of ASCL.
CASL holds her programs in different countries across Africa, particularly the Annual SUMMIT. Any country in Africa could apply/request to host the Annual Summit. CASL events hold on-site and/or Online.
Students Leadership & Democratic Culture in Africa: A Dialogue on Values
Objectives of 2022 CASL Summit
- To promote the principle of deliberative democracy and and empower student on how to strengthen their leadership capacities on campus
- To build their capacity to handle conflicts, authority/power, decision-making, which are associated with leadership;
- To explore opportunities of leveraging technology to enhance students capacity to engage and provide community leadership;
- To explore tourist potentials as opportunities for continuing engagement among students.
CASL 2022 Summit will deliberate on democratic issues and how emerging leaders could help to redefine democratic values in Africa, beginning from the leadership activities of students in schools and campuses.
Business Opportunities Roundtable
There will be business opportunities explorations during the Summit in areas of Tourism, Sports, ICT, Education, Entertainment , etc. There will also visits to different tourist sites in the City of Abuja, including the National Assembly.
Students Politics: Lessons of Experience
Working in groups, participants will seek to figure out what is happening, why is it happening, who is responsible, what are the impacts, what needs to be changed, improved, restructured?
Capacity Building for Leadership Competencies
Within several parallel workshop sessions, participants will learn practical skills in cross-cultural conflict resolution/mediation, decision-making, deliberative skills, Gender balancing and Social Inclusiveness in students leadership, etc.
Leveraging on ICT & Technology for Community Engagement & Leadership Sustainability
This sub-theme will examine how students could increase community engagement of students in their school’s environment. It will also explore how students union leaderships could leverage on technology to improve their effectiveness and economic capacity.
Venue: National Centre for Women Development, Opposite Central Bank of Nigeria Headquarters, Central Business District, Abuja – Nigeria.
Extra Summit Events
Inter-Collegiate Public Speaking Contest
The Inter-Collegiate Public Speaking Contest (IPSC) seeks to promote the art of constructive public speaking is offered as an extra event at the 2022 Summit.
The aim is to build public confidence of students and expand their knowledge on development issues.
Participants are to observe the following guidelines:
- Select topic from the list below. You are at liberty to also choose topics outside the ones listed. Topics may also be re-framed or rewarded.
- Participants are to read up everything they can on their topics. Topics are to be treated from any point of view including as a problem requiring solution, an issue deserving public knowledge; etc.
- Each speaker will speak for five (5) minutes with an extra three (3) minutes to respond to questions.
- Soft Copies of speech should be submitted to the organizers ahead or hard copies at the venue before start of contest.
- Contestants will be scored on a 10-points grading: Eloquence, Coherence of Speech, Composure, Body Language, Depth of research, Voice Carriage, Elocution, Delivery Style and Timeliness. Contestants are not to memorize their speech.
- Youth Participation in Politics and the Changing Democratic Culture in Africa.
- Freedom of Expression and Individual Responsibility in a Democracy
- Entrepreneurship as Panacea for Youth Restiveness in Africa
- Trafficking in Youths and the New Face of Slavery in Africa.
- Women Participation in Politics and Cultural Challenges
- The Social Development Impact of Family Breakdown
To Register for the Contest, please send the following information to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Name: Chosen Topic:
School: Tel: Email:
Sporting Events for Participants
Specific sporting events will be announced in due course.
Presentation of CASL Excellence Award
Who Attends CASL SUMMIT 2.0?
- Under-graduate Students on Campus, Representatives of Departmental Associations, Deans of Students Affairs, Staff of Students Affairs Departments,
- Relevant Government Agency Staff, representatives of International development agencies, the members of the Diplomatic Corps, Caproate Institutions interested in Youth Issues, and the Media.
Venue: National Centre for Women Development, Opp. Central Bank of Nigeria, Central Business District, Abuja.
Students: N15,500 ($40)/Participant
Others: N35,000 ($75)/Participant
City Tour Fee: N8,500 ($20)/person (Optional)
National Centre for Women Dev.
Standard Room – $50/night
Single Suite – $80/night
Hostel for Students -N4000 ($6)/night
Royal Choice Inn ( 500 meters away from Women Centre)
Double Room – $25/night
Double Deluxe Room – $45/night
Fee includes conference materials, group lunch and tea break, but exclude lodging and logistics.
Participants can make personal arrangements for lodging. To receive rebates for lodging in any of the two venues, please contact us for assistance. Call: +234 (0) 708 015 7176
Please make payment into this account:
FLED International Leadership Institute
Guaranty Trust Bank Plc
OR via secure online platform here
If you have issues with payments or remittances, please contact us for assistance.
Once you make payment, click below to register
CASL Excellence Award
CASL award is devoted to promoting responsible leadership among students leaders in Africa’s tertiary educational institutions. The award honours students leaders and students union groups that have demonstrated outstanding leadership competence; made significant contributions to the reduction of social violence on their campus; and whose activities have engendered healthy relationship between the students and their host campus communities.
At the core of CASL Excellence Award is the recognition that those honoured with this award represent a quest for excellence and unique commitment of the recipient to the service of humanity. The laureates display these qualities to an uncommon degree. Their remarkable examples as student leaders reinforce the fact that there is a hunger in the youths with values to assert themselves when given the opportunity to serve.
In honouring them with CASL Excellence Award, we seek to encourage them to continue to lead exemplary lives and to inspire others to make a difference.
Most Resourceful Leader.
Outstanding Team Leader.
Exemplary Student Leader.
Most Responsible Students Union Government.
Most Resourceful Students Union Government.
Best Organized Students Union Government.
Please note that multiple awards could be given within each category as may be decided by judges.
Award Nomination Criteria
No candidate or group may nominate himself/herself or itself for the award.
Nominated candidates or groups must be current students at the time of nomination.
Those eligible to nominate candidate or group include School authorities, students, Lecturers, or civil society organizations conversant with the activities of the nominee.
CASL is organized by FLED International Leadership Institute
FLED Institute is a graduate leadership school established in 1999 with the mandate to train leaders and entrepreneurs for Africa’s transformation. The Institute implements its mission through leadership training programs, membership inductions, mentorship supports and research. It is approved by Nigeria’s Federal Ministry of Education to provide leadership education that produces transformational leaders.
For partnership and sponsorship opportunities, please contact:
The Program Director, CASL,
FLED Institute, Abuja – Nigeria
Tel/Whatapp: +234-708 015 7176