About FLED Institute
FLED International Leadership Institute (FLED Institute) is a graduate leadership school with the mandate to train leaders and entrepreneurs for Africa’s transformation. FLED Institute was established on August 15, 1999 and incorporated in Nigeria on January 21, 2010 as a private Charitable Company Limited by Guarantee under the Companies and Allied Matters Act CAP 59, Laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
FLED Institute exists as the training arm of the Incorporated Trustees of Foundation for Leadership & Education Development (FLED) – an NGO founded in 1995 by Joseph Chinenyeze Ibekwe. The Institute is approved by the Federal Ministry of Education and Federal Ministry of Justice to provide leadership education and to offer Leadership Certification Courses to prepare individuals to become Certified Professional Leadership Consultants – cplc.
The Institute also engages in comparative study and research on social, political, and economic development issues that contribute to national transformation. It adopts a faith-based approach to leadership development and programming.
Rationale for FLED Institute
Human capital development is central to overall socio-political and economic development in any nation. The driver of development itself is leadership. Visionary, human-interest leadership ensures effective governance. Good governance promotes sustainable development in all societies. Evidence is overwhelming that Sub-Saharan Africa has suffered prolonged under-development due to low quality leadership. We believe that the quest for prosperity, peace, security and sustainable development in Africa rests on her readiness to train, nurture and deploy quality leaders to take charge of public resources for public interest. These leader and technocrats must be far-sighted, values-driven, creative, ethical and tolerant of human diversities.
Recognizing the urgency to take strategic steps to groom a critical mass of leaders to fast-track sustainable development in Africa; FLED International Leadership Institute was established.
Since 1999, FLED Institute has carved a niche in the area of professional leadership training and institutional development, leveraging on her multidisciplinary team of Faculty. We have provided training for diverse private and public institutions as well as individuals.
The Institute’s mandate is to apply faith-based approach to create and offer human capacity development curricula that enhance leadership competence and promote the advancement of the principles and practice of transformational leadership.
The registered objectives of the Institute include the following:
- To establish Institutes for the promotion of leadership development, public enlightenment, manpower and human development, through facilitated learning;
- To organize leadership training programmes, promote recruitment, continuing education and enhance the professional skills development of leaders;
- To identify and harness the intellectual potentials of leaders, train and equip them adequately for challenges of leadership for positive accelerated development of the society;
- To provide durable feasibility studies, extra-curricular activities and sponsor research leading to the development of transformational leadership;
- To organize seminars and conferences on Public Service and Governance in Nigeria, and provide facilities for training and re-training of public servants;
- To encourage foreign and local interaction, interchange of cultural, political and economic ideas for development purposes;
- To provide all infrastructures, facilities and amenities required to carry out the objectives including classrooms, halls, libraries, workshops, board and lodging facilities, physical fitness facilities, administrative and staff office, and other recreational facilities;
- To engage in publication of educational journals, magazines, catalogues and other literary works; undertake printing and lithographing works so as to enhance professional leadership skills development;
- To establish contact with other Organizations with similar objectives at home and abroad including tertiary institutions in areas of research and development.
A world-class institution graduating transformed leaders and entrepreneurs, with a repertoire of skills and ethical values for Africa’s socio-political transformation.
The Institute is presently working to establish FLED International University to offer postgraduate degrees in Leadership, Governance and Entrepreneurship.
To enhance human capital infrastructure through continuing professional leadership education, mentorship and research
Our mission has three components:
- To use leadership and entrepreneurial education to stimulate political and socio-economic transformation.
- To use mentoring as a tool to promote responsible followership and build the capacity of individuals to participate in development processes.
- To use research to reduce conflict, build peace, and enhance good governance in Nigeria and around the world.
What we do
We nurture leaders to think and to work for a better global society.
How we do our work
We carry out our work through continuing professional leadership education, capacity building, professional certification, membership induction, mentorship opportunities, and research.
We are ethical and values-driven. We innovate and promote individual creativity. We are flexible in our operations, yet we exist to promote intellectual scholarship, professionalism and excellence in the field of leadership development and practice.
We work for people-benefit, which requires us to focus on creating a win-win situation in all engagements with our members, students, clients, constituents and partners. In our work, we question everything. We reject status quos. We promote a culture of disagreement and debate, and encourage “constructive failures” making us to always think about how to do things better than ever.
Our Fundamental Values
As a knowledge-based educational institution, our work is inspired by Christian principles and values that promote human dignity and development. These include freedom, democracy, leadership, entrepreneurship, participation, transparency, accountability, social justice, prosperity, gender equality, and human rights.
Our Core Values
FLED INSTITUTE develops and maintains a worldwide community of Transformational leaders. Our programs, events, and research incorporate the core values of the FLED GROUP: People, Opportunities, Possibilities, Work and Partnerships.
- We recognize that individuals have intrinsic value and must be treated with dignity and respect.
- We are committed to the empowerment of our workers who invest in our mission so that they can grow, find joy in their work, and become transformational leaders and entrepreneurs.
- We provide ambience where tolerance, forgiveness and trust is possible, everyone is accepted as he/she is, and encouraged to listen and be listened to.
- We examine, we seek out, we investigate available options that people can avail themselves to improve their lives and situations.
- We strive to take full advantage of possibilities in our environment in order to improve and change situations. We maximize possibilities. In our organization, there is no impossible task.
- We are courageous in our work requiring us to be creative and different, without fear of failure, in the pursuit of the highest possible impact of our work on our constituents.
- We adhere to accountability and transparency which requires us to maintain open communication with all our constituents, while taking responsibility for our actions.
- We respect diversities of views and seek partnership with individuals and institutions of similar mission to promote good governance, sustainable development and social impact around the world.
The Institute adopts a professional approach to human capacity development programming that advances transformational leadership; institutional development; and intellectual scholarship through comparative study and research on social, political and economic development issues.
The circular shape represents our global perspective and reach.
The book represents what we value: knowledge, professionalism, and excellence.
The two stars and two white dots represent light and windows of opportunity.
The Eagle shows strength and Vision.
You could become a Member of FLED Institute.
Contact us @
KMC Hotel, KMC Street, Karu Site, Abuja – Nigeria.
Tel: +234 (0) 708 015 7176,
+234 (0) 803 326 1363.
FLED…Enjoy a lasting experience