Postgraduate Certificate in
GENDER & TRANSFORMATIVE LEADERSHIP
Title: Postgraduate Certificate in Gender & Transformative Leadership (GTL)
CODE: PC- GTL
Duration: 9 Months (2-semester course)
Cost: N285, 000.
Cost covers: Tuition, Course materials.
Initial half payment to secure admission
The 20th century was defined by human rights struggles. The 21st century will be defined by the delivery of equal rights for women and men in the public space. In all spheres of society, leadership appears to have a certain image: the male image. Perhaps that explains why in his book Leadership is Male (1988), David Pawson posits that “Patriarchal society is a reflection of divine fatherhood”. However, Joan Martin (1996) in her own book Is Leadership Male? interrogates Pawson’s assertion. With the growing convergence of leadership and gender in global development discourses, it has become imperative that we bridge knowledge and expand understanding on this important area of development.
The Goal of Gender & Transformative Leadership Course is to build a critical mass of informed professionals in the field of gender and transformative leadership in Africa.
- To reinforce the convergence of leadership and gender as key development concepts.
- To explore cultural, political and economic barriers to gender equity and women’s advancement in politics and public life.
- To equip participants with knowledge and understanding on leadership and gender dynamics necessary to function as advocates of gender equity in the public space
- To strengthen the leadership competence of participants
GTL curriculum is developed by UNESCO in consultation with the National Universities Commission (NUC). It is designed to run in modules run over a period of nine (9) months. It is designed to help participants understand gender dynamics in the public space and strengthen their leadership competencies to effectively promote gender-balanced leadership everywhere they find themselves in public leadership.
The demonstration of skills and mastery of knowledge in this Course will be assessed according to established criteria.
A variety of techniques will be used to assess knowledge and skills acquired by the participants during the course. These will include self-assessment tests, pre-tests, post-tests, and levels of engagement in the entire course. The Course will be assessed based on the following five key components:
- Theoretical Course work – Candidates are required to attend physical/online classes as the case might be.
- Concepts Study/Seminar Presentation – Candidates are required to conduct in-depth study of a chosen topics, and make presentation on it for assessment.
- Mentoring Engagement – Candidates are engaged in practical mentorship assignment for a period of 2 months as part of the program
- Social Impact Project – The Class is expected to organize and implement a social impact project that demonstrates their commitment to social responsibility.
- Field Study Tour – The Class is expected to undertake a local/foreign trip as part of the program.
Concepts in Gender
Introduction to Gender Analysis
Personal Leadership Competencies
Concepts & Theories of Leadership
Understanding Transformational Leadership
Communication Skills for Effective leadership
Organizational Team Leadership
Political Skills for Effective Leadership
Understanding Social Entrepreneurship
Starting Social Change through Social Entrepreneurship
Good Governance and Ethical Leadership
Understanding The Policy Processes
Eliminating Gender-based Violence and Enhancing Sexual Health and Reproductive Rights
Mentoring, Coaching, Peer and Inter-Generational Support
Who should apply?
Individuals with a minimum of First degree or HND, working in private enterprises; Government Ministries; NGO & media, and others interested in expanding their knowledge in gender and leadership, are encouraged to apply.
TO REGISTER FOR THIS COURSE, CLICK HERE
For more information, please contact
The Dean, School of Education & Development Studies
FLED International Leadership Institute
Plot MF 57 Cadastral Zone, Karu Site, Abuja
Tel: +234-708 015 7176